Tuesday 3 February 2009

Card of the Day February 3rd






The Six of Cups shows us two small girls looking over their balcony as the town they live in becomes covered in snow.

A couple of things are rather appropriate with this card. We’re just getting over our worst snow in 18 years here, with the promise of more to come and again, the card has two children on it, two young girls. The smaller of the two is grabbing her sister’s pinafore at the back. Perhaps she’s a little frightened by the dark angry sky she’s gazing up to? She is looking in wonder. Her sister appears unperturbed by it all – whatever it is, she’s seen it all before!

I adore the face on the little girl looking up. Her posture seems to be that she wants to go forward but lacks the courage alone. I don’t think her sister would have a problem. Actually, I keep mentioning my own two daughters but what I’ve just said is more like me and my own sister. She’s the confident, brainy one with a good career, and I’m the one who would cling on to her when we were growing up, happy in her shadow.

So we have the need for reassurance here as well as the nostalgic element. We’ve been talking quite a bit of nostalgia with the current bad weather we have. How we used to play out in the snow all day when we were young. Many young children here have hardly seen snow. My daughter is 17 and for the first time in her life yesterday she went out with friends and made snow angels!

3 comments:

  1. yes, i've been feeling that nostalgia too... how lovely that your daughter made snow angels for the first time. hope you got some good pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also feeling the nostalgia but with out the snow! I love your take on the card. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well this is a lovely card and does stir up those feelings of nostalgia! I think the idea of snow angels is beautiful.

    Sometimes though and I am not saying this applies to you or your reading, when you look at an image like this everything is rosy so to speak, like looking at the past with rose coloured glasses. It then gives me another type of message that says to me sometimes we look back and remember how we think things were rather than how they really were and allow this to colour our present.

    So it also warns me that one should not allow the illusion of the past to intrude upon the present.

    I often think this image would make a great Christmas card!

    ReplyDelete